"Enjoy the LITTLE THINGS in life for one day you will look back and realize they were the big things."


Pages

What blog is about Intro

Come on in and sit awhile while I talk about the "Little Things" in life. I will share my journey of everyday life.... homeschooling, raising my children, homesteading, gardening, health and wellness, and real life.

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

How I "Spice It Up" With My Favorite Spice -- Cooking Ahead Series PART 2

My top five seasonings are: Salt, Onion Powder, Paprika, Garlic Powder, Bay Leaves.

(Maybe pepper ought to be on here, but as much as I use it I could probably do without it. It does get a mention, at least, for the fact that it just makes things "taste cooked".)



And the winner is... drumroll, please... Onion Powder! I bet you thought I was gonna say garlic. I L~O~V~E Onion Powder. It started with me not wanting real onions in my tuna. I did not like raw onion no matter what it was in. Oddly, my fifth pregnancy changed that for some reason. Anyway, I wanted that onion taste without the crunchy raw onions. It just kind of grew from there. I tried it in baked beans and omitted the onions.... loved it! Same thing with potato salad. I mean, what is with all the raw onion lovers out there... well, I like them now some. Next was hamburgers! I make the patties and sprinkle with s&p and a heavy dose of onion powder. I also sautee onions to go on my burgers. Moving own to another big thing at our house... Thin pork chops sprinkled with s&p and a heavy dose of onion powder and then, broiled. It doesn't stop there... Chicken chunks sprinkled with s&p and a heavy dose of onion powder and then, broiled. I have to have it in almost every soup I make and even in spaghetti sauce. I almost forgot... I use it in browned ground meat that I use to make meaty cheese dip and Picadillo Quesadillas.... oh yeah, and on my loaded french bread and french bread pizza. Are you getting hungry, yet. Of course, I love it in Roast, also. I now use the onion soup mix to do my roast, but I used to buy the 50 cent spices and use the WHOLE THING in one roast!!

So, does that give you any meal ideas? Or does it just make you hungry?!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and suggestions! I read them all and I am so thrilled you are taking the time out of your busy life to share your words with me! --Shannon

Note: If you ask a question, check back here in the comments for my answer or check the little box so it goes directly to your email (if available). (This way others who have the same question will be able to read the answer!)