"Enjoy the LITTLE THINGS in life for one day you will look back and realize they were the big things."


Pages

What blog is about Intro

Come on in and sit awhile while I talk about the "Little Things" in life. I will share my journey of everyday life.... homeschooling, raising my children, homesteading, gardening, health and wellness, and real life.

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Discerning The Voice Of Good, Q & A

I am going to answer a question I received regarding the Discerning the Voice Of God Bible Study I am participating in here in this post, just in case there are others that have the same question. My anwer was becoming quite lengthy, so I thought that I would post it this way instead of the comments as a reply.

Quinn: "You've peaked my curiosity this morning. :)I'd like to know by what mode or modes is the author say that God speaks to us and what Scripture does she use to support her conclusions? Thanks."

Quinn, Keep in mind that I am only Week 1, Day 3 of this study, so I have only just begun. I am on page 16 of 126 pages and it is a six week study. I am not familiar with the author of this book and can't really speak for her, but I will try to answer your questions.

Q: "I'd like to know by what mode or modes is the author say that God speaks to us....?"
A: She implies that we can hear God "speak" not in a verbal sense, but rather through scripture, events, Sunday School teachers, Preachers, or life circumstances and many other ways. I'll give you and exmaple of how I "heard" God speaking to me today. I was walking through the church (which is also used as a Pre-K and K school) and one of the classrooms was open and I saw a portion of scripture on the wall. Without thinking too much of it I began to sing it because it is a portion of a contemporary Christian song, also. Some twenty minutes later I was in my SS class and part of our lesson was on that verse. My "ears" perked up as I realized God must be trying to get me to "hear" that verse today for some reason. Later in the day, I was helping my daughter with some special stickers that I got for her with scriptures on them and that same scripture was one of the scriptures. Again, I know that is God "speaking" to me. I'll admit that at this particular time I am not sure what the message is for me, but I know I must listen and wait for Him to "speak", again. And maybe [because I did not really think I needed this study ;) ] in this instance God is simply trying to show that when I "listen", He will "speak". Many times I am too "tuned out"... changing a diaper, cleaning a spill, fixing a lunch, kissing a bo-bo, etc.... I don't always "hear" due to all the distractions.

Q: ..."...what Scripture does she use to support her conclusions? Thanks.
A: John 10:27 "My sheep hear my voice..."

Ephesians 2:19-22 Now, therefore, you are no longer strangers and foreigners, but fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God, having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ Himself being the chief cornerstone, in whom the whole building, being fitted together, grows into a holy temple in the Lord, in whom you also are being built together for a dwelling place of God in the Spirit.
(She uses this to say we are a PART OF THE FAMILY OF GOD.)

1 Corinthians 2:14 But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
(She uses this to say that to UNDERSTAND GOD YOU MUST BE A PART OF GOD.)

Habakkuk 2:1 I will stand upon my watch, and set me upon the tower, and will watch to see what he will say unto me, and what I shall answer when I am reproved.

Jeremiah 33:3 Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not.

Deuteronomy 5:31 But as for thee, stand thou here by me, and I will speak unto thee all the commandments, and the statutes, and the judgments, which thou shalt teach them, that they may do them in the land which I give them to possess it.

Luke 8:18 (KJV) Take heed therefore how ye hear: for whosoever hath, to him shall be given; and whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken even that which he seemeth to have.
Luke 8:18 (New Living Translation)“So pay attention to how you hear. To those who listen to my teaching, more understanding will be given. But for those who are not listening, even what they think they understand will be taken away from them.”
(This version is a bit easier to get what she is trying to point out.)

Matthew 7:24 Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:


Those are some of the verses. And it should be said, as the author herself points out, that just because you are not hearing God speak to you does not mean you are not a child of God's. It might simply be that you need to learn to listen to Him... or EXPECT to hear from Him... have FAITH that He will speak.... or be PATIENT and WAIT.... or be OBEDIANT for God to speak. She gives an example all us women can relate to... We ask our husbands in our shoes match our outfit adn which pair should we wear, knowing all along we are going to wear the ones we want to wear anyway. Why ask them, if we are going to disregard. So, what do you think God would "say" to us, if He already knew we were not going to listen to Him [which He already does know because He knows all things ;)]? Maybe He would just not "speak" to us on the issue we are expecting Him, too.

Sense I am feeling "open" tonight I will put it out there what I think I am learning from this study is that I need to have faith that God will answer me... I need to come to Him expecting Him to "speak" to me..... and I need to be patient and wait.... and grow myself in the waiting time.... listen to his message in the waiting time.... and be obedient to the answer He gives me.... that means actually follow His plan and not my own plan. Tough stuff to admit, but I obviously need to LISTEN to what He is trying to TELL me her. ;)

I hope this helps... this is not really my area of expertise which is why I am in the Bible study and not writing books! LOL!!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Shannon- I always struggle with this issue in that I always bring Isaiah 55:8 to mind

    For my thoughts [are] not your thoughts, neither [are] your ways my ways, saith the LORD.

    So I appreciate you addressing my query:)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and suggestions! I read them all and I am so thrilled you are taking the time out of your busy life to share your words with me! --Shannon

Note: If you ask a question, check back here in the comments for my answer or check the little box so it goes directly to your email (if available). (This way others who have the same question will be able to read the answer!)