And on that note, I want to say that I am so THANKFUL that I can drive to the store and pick up the things I need when I need them. I just wish that we could rely on those things being the best they can be. Simply put... I know what is going in my chickens.
- Our chickens are fed on Chick Starter for the first few weeks of their lives.
- As they get older we mix Chick Starter and Hen Scratch and they feed on that until they are can eat the Hen Scratch.
- We switch them to Hen Scratch only until they are near laying age. This is also around the time they have almost reached their full size and we allow them to "free range". We keep them in up to this time to protect them from predators. Once they begin to free range, they show little interest in any of the feed. They will only eat it when they are closed up.
- After that we mix Hen Scratch and Lay Mash Pellets for them to feed on as they wish.
- ***We also give our hens scraps of all sorts. They LOVE leftover pasta. I am pretty sure they think a shell noodle is a nice juicy bug. ;)
I am looking forward to a little bit of this. So pretty!