"Enjoy the LITTLE THINGS in life for one day you will look back and realize they were the big things."


Pages

What blog is about Intro

Come on in and sit awhile while I talk about the "Little Things" in life. I will share my journey of everyday life.... homeschooling, raising my children, homesteading, gardening, health and wellness, and real life.

Thursday, May 10, 2012

You Become Who Your Friends Are

I was talking to my husband about this the other day.  About how a person chooses their friends.  Do you choose your friends because they make you feel good about yourself or do you choose your friends because they make you aspire to be better?  Neither answer is wrong.  I was surprised that my husband said he chooses his friends because they make him feel good about himself.  If he can make someone smile it makes him feel good.  His personality type needs assurance.  Me... not so much... actually, it would make me very uncomfortable.  I actually tend to gravitate towards people that make me aspire to be a better me.  I am drawn to those that I can gleen wonderful life lessons from.  I have found that I grow closer to those that are trying to do the best job at whatever it is they do.  So, when my friends are trying to be what some refer to as "super moms" (I hate that nickname!) I am more drawn to them. 

When I see them making their kid's birthday cakes I know they are doing that as an expression of love.  And then, I want to do that, also.  In fact, I do and I can say it was something that I admired seeing others do for their child.

When I see mommas that watch their kids closely.  I admire them.  When I see them wipe their dirty faces.  I admire them.  When I see them hold their kids in their arms and cuddle them all day long.  I admire that them.  It would be so much easier to hand them off to a sitter, but they would miss so much.  When I see them praying with their kids.  I want to be more like them.  When I see them talking calmly I want to learn to be more meek.  When I see them draw from Biblical principles I want to learn to do that better.  I want to be taught.  We should all want to be taught!   Life is so much about learning!  You become who you are around, so it is so important to surround yourselves with good Godly friends.  I find that I am drawn to that type of ladies and I am so thrilled to be able to learn from such a variety of friends.  Some are good at sewing, some at cooking and meal planning, some at scheduling, some at advising, some are good at quietly listening, some are meek, some are more bold, some at gardening or homesteading, some at being good wives, some are good at being joyful and patient, some are givers, and so on.  All have something to that I can learn from and I am so fortunate and blessed to have wonderful friends to become more like!

1 comment:

  1. I love your heart Shannon. I can see the same sweetness in Savannah as well. I am blessed to know you both!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and suggestions! I read them all and I am so thrilled you are taking the time out of your busy life to share your words with me! --Shannon

Note: If you ask a question, check back here in the comments for my answer or check the little box so it goes directly to your email (if available). (This way others who have the same question will be able to read the answer!)