"Enjoy the LITTLE THINGS in life for one day you will look back and realize they were the big things."


Pages

What blog is about Intro

Come on in and sit awhile while I talk about the "Little Things" in life. I will share my journey of everyday life.... homeschooling, raising my children, homesteading, gardening, health and wellness, and real life.

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Dinner in a Crunch & on a Budget Sequel



Well, it seems I had unexpected company drop in "for just a moment" right around the time I should have been cooking dinner.  It's a good thing I had already made plans for those leftovers from last night's "Dinner in a Crunch & on a Budget"!  Yippee!  I had about a third of it leftover, so it was either eat more taco salad for lunch today or change it up a bit and make it dinner for tonight.  And since I am so bad about forgetting to take meat out of the freezer (which, of course, I did again today until about 2:PM... and since it is church night and the kids have activities that start at 6:PM I needed something quick).  So, this is what I did.  It is not glamorous but it is good, and healthy, and filling.  

Again, I had about 1/3 of my taco salad mixture left over from last night.  I put the pot back on the stove.  Added a cup of water to it.  Turn on the heat and gave it a stir.  I poured in half a bag of frozen whole kernel corn.  Then, I opened a large can of Petite Diced Tomatoes and poured them in.  That is about it folks.  Simmer a little while (or boil on full blast like I do but stir constantly because this will burn quick... don't ask how I know this stuff... hehehe!).  Now, you have a quick Taco Soup. 

I had intended to make fresh rice to serve it over, but when my company stayed way longer than "just a moment" I was pretty happy that I remembered I had leftover rice.  I should not admit that it was still in the pot it was cooked in, but... it was.  In this case that was a good thing because I added a 1/4 cup of water to the rice and turned the burner on high, AGAIN (I have a problem... I like to do things way too fast).  I let that QUICKLY moisten up and then, I dumped the whole thing in my pot of Taco Soup.  So, I guess I really made a pot of Taco RICE Soup!  Whatever you want to call it, it was good and quick to serve because the rice was already in the soup.  Everybody got a bowl with their option to sprinkle in cheese and sour cream.  

For the record I will say that the kids had veggies and fruit at various times throughout the day, so they are getting a variety of food groups even though it may not look that way from these two dinners.  ;)  Happy FAST cooking!  This can be done in under 10 minutes not counting making rice. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and suggestions! I read them all and I am so thrilled you are taking the time out of your busy life to share your words with me! --Shannon

Note: If you ask a question, check back here in the comments for my answer or check the little box so it goes directly to your email (if available). (This way others who have the same question will be able to read the answer!)