"Enjoy the LITTLE THINGS in life for one day you will look back and realize they were the big things."


Pages

What blog is about Intro

Come on in and sit awhile while I talk about the "Little Things" in life. I will share my journey of everyday life.... homeschooling, raising my children, homesteading, gardening, health and wellness, and real life.

Saturday, May 31, 2014

Yummy Healthy Pizza & MTHFR

Lately, I find myself scrambling to figure out meals that are healthy but also quick.  The set of "healthy" rules I am trying to follow is pretty extreme since finding out I have the MTHFR.  I am not going to ramble on about all the "rules", but just trust me when I say it is extensive.  Lucky for me I was already grinding my own wheat for a lot of things.  I am not supposed to have anything that is enriched because of the synthetic vitamins that are used to "enrich" the health content of the food that is being over-processed.  For my body it is like taking a poison and it stores up that poison.  Nobody needs a little poison floating around in their body now do they? {insert sarcastic laughter}  Being that this is a genetic thing I feel that my children need to be learning how to eat healthy because they are likely to have it, also.  


This pizza fits all the "rules".  Yippee!  And, of course, some yummy veggies would be even better but my kids like things really plain.  

I usually make a crisp thin crust but I wanted a softer slightly thicker crust... maybe 1/3 inch thick.  


Healthy Soft Wheat Pizza

4 unpacked cups Wheat Flour (not enriched) *I used Spelt.
1 cup water
2 Tbsp Yeast
1 Tbsp Honey
2 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder

Jar Pasta Sauce (I use Great Value brand because they do not add HFCS - high fructose corn syrup.) or make your own sauce
Mozzarella Cheese & Fiesta blend cheese ... Or whatever you like.

Start with oiling your pan with a little Olive Oil of choice.  This will make it easier if you have this done first.

Fill one cup of water and warm it slightly.  If it is too warm it will kill the yeast.  After it is warm add the yeast and honey.  Stir.  Set aside.  Grind your wheat (or use previously ground wheat) and place the remaining ingredients in your mixer (wheat flour, salt, garlic powder, onion powder) with the dough hook attachment.... or you can hand mix and knead.  Add your water/yeast/honey mixture to this and mix.  This should be a sticky dough.  The more moisture you have the more soft your dough will be.   Rather than turning this dough out on flour surface I oiled my hands and place it directly on the pan and starting spreading it out with my hands.  You might want to use a rolling pin.  If so, oil it liberally.  I have found that I like kneading things our with my fingers when possible.  Place this crust in the oven at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes.  You do not want it to start browning.  This is just to let the inside cook some so you do not end up with a doughy crust.  Take it out and spread on your sauce and any toppings that you want including cheese.  Put it back in the oven and bake on 400 degrees until done.  Serve!!






No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and suggestions! I read them all and I am so thrilled you are taking the time out of your busy life to share your words with me! --Shannon

Note: If you ask a question, check back here in the comments for my answer or check the little box so it goes directly to your email (if available). (This way others who have the same question will be able to read the answer!)