"Enjoy the LITTLE THINGS in life for one day you will look back and realize they were the big things."


Pages

What blog is about Intro

Come on in and sit awhile while I talk about the "Little Things" in life. I will share my journey of everyday life.... homeschooling, raising my children, homesteading, gardening, health and wellness, and real life.

Saturday, March 14, 2009

My Husband is a Teacher... We Homeschool PART 2

If you have not read Part 1 you may to click on the Archive link to read that post first for this to truly make sense. I will be posting this in a series of blogs to contain it's lengthiness.. LOL!

So now you know why we made the switch to homeschool. Now I want to share with you how this affects my husbands career. It is obvious that my husband loves his family, because he has truly put us first in this situation and I admire that more than he will ever understand. I am going to touch on a little of our background because I feel you have to know some of this to understand the struggle we have been through to get to this point. I have been pregnant six times, yet we have only four living children (1st=Savannah, 2nd=miscarriage, 3rd=Sierra, 4th=fetal demise, 5th=Caden, 6th=Sahara). I am a stay-at-home-mom and my husband, Cody, is a teacher. Teaching is not a high pay profession, so when I found out I was pregnant with pregnancy #4 we decided that Cody would go back to college for his Master's degree and become a Principal. After the baby died from a fall, Cody continued in the Master's Program and we made the decision to try to have another baby to heal our hearts. Eventually, I did get pregnant again several months later and two years down the road Cody "walked" the walk with our family of five cheering him on... He had his Master's degree! It was mid-year, so it was not likely that he would get a Principal job right away, but that was okay. He has continued his 7th Grade English Teacher position and is waiting for the right position to become available.

This is where it gets "sticky" ... how does our decision to homeschool affect my husbands' career? We are not really certain at this point, but it is said to possibly be a bit of "career suicide". It is very possible that after all his hard work and all our families sacrifice and struggle that he will be unable to get a Principal position due to us homeschooling. I have to believe that when it is the "right" job position that those involved in that decision will be able to look past those details. If they can't then we will know that we have put our kids first... my husband has put our family first!! I am so proud to be able to say that and proud of him for making that stand!!!